[nsp] Dial-Backup for PPPoE-Dialer?

Neil Christie neil at fissure.net
Thu Feb 12 18:38:40 EST 2004

Bug ID: CSCds88143 (which has no public description/is Cisco
confidential) has been around for some time AFAICT and was due to be
fixed/implemented in 12.3T.

As 12.3T is now out, I recently asked TAC about it, one engineer told
me it is now there (but couldn't name the commands/feature it relates
to), so I asked again and a different engineer said  "code is ready
but not fully tested/rolled into IOS yet" (this was in the the past
week, suggesting the features in 12.3(4)T are not all that is to come
from CSCds88143)

This bug ID was mentioned on this very mailing list (Cisco NSP) in August 2002:
https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/2002-August/000104.html

and again December 2002:
https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/2002-December/001775.html

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=CSCds88143&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=3dc80116.2331232%40usenet.cisco.com&rnum=3
refers to CSCds88143 as:
"Add ICMP support for PBR set next-hop verify availability"

and there is mention of it last month in:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=njke00d3lccb6s635ijgetngbel5kdpo9n%404ax.com

We're interested in analog/ISDN backup to PPPoA ADSL services - where
as some of the features recently added to IOS in this regard appear
better suited to PPPoE, where DHCP can be tracked for example (ip
dhcp client route track).

Not having to rely on watching for a route containing a specific IP
address, lest it change / to avoid hard coding it would be preferable.

Confirmation of whether CSCds88143 is still being developed (eg more
is to come) or not would of interest to many I believe / as would a
public bug description.

(back to lurk mode), Neil.