[nsp] broadbandwidth

Niels Bakker niels=cisco-nsp at bakker.net
Tue Feb 24 11:13:00 EST 2004

* ray at carpe.net (Ray Davis) [Tue 24 Feb 2004, 16:20 CET]:
> I realize the best answer to the following question is "it depends", but
> any numbers based on experience might be better than no clue at all.  :)
>
> I'm trying to guestimate how many ADSL users will "fit" into an Mbit
> of 95%ile bandwidth.  Can anyone say something like "we have about
> X ADSL users (maybe 70% private, 30% small business) running with 640k
> downstream lines and they typically peak around Y Mbits during the day"?
>
> Any wild guestimates will be welcome!

I've come to understand that in the Netherlands a 1:25 oversubscription
model is generally used between the CLEC's ATM network and the
private subscriber termination equipment run by each customer ISP.
Numbers for "business DSL" are more like 1:10.  Not all this traffic
will be off-net.

Of course, 640 kbps downstream is what we call "DSL Lite" here :)

	-- Niels.