[nsp] OSPF x firewall

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Jan 2 14:51:58 EST 2004

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 10:45:16AM -0500, Mussie wrote:
> I believe Jim has suggested this before.  If you wish to interconnect two
> routers via OSPF across the firewall the best option might be to create
> tunnel interface and use GRE or IPnIP as an encapsulation.  The only thing
> you need on the firewall is to allow Protocol 47 [GRE] or protocol-4
> [IP-in-IP] from the respective router interfaces (which ever one is source
> interface for your tunnel).

As has also been mentioned before: what good is speaking dynamic
routing protocols through a device if that device doesn't know the
routes in question?  The firewall needs to know which IPs are "inside"
and "outside" as well - so if you're routing around it, you won't gain
anything (except if you send the packets through the OSPF tunnel as
well - in that case, you've effectively removed the firewall).

The whole initial setup is flawed and should be re-thought.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de