[nsp] Cisco routers: DRAM chips banks used

Noriega, Alejandro ANoriega at prima.com.ar
Mon Jan 5 16:44:25 EST 2004

Thanks a lot Gert !!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Gert Doering [mailto:gert at greenie.muc.de]
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2004 5:32 PM
To: Dennis Peng
Cc: Noriega, Alejandro; cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [nsp] Cisco routers: DRAM chips banks used

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:35:55AM -0800, Dennis Peng wrote:
> > 2500
> I think the 2500 only has one bank for system DRAM.

Correct.  Some of them have 2Mb soldered on-board, though, so a 4 Mb
2500 could have 2+2 or 0+4, IIRC...

[..]
> On the 2600, if you have a version of IOS which contains the fix for
> CSCdv58188 (12.2(11)T and later), you can see the memory configuration

> in the "show c2600" command.
[..]
> If you have the fix for CSCdv58200 (12.3(3) and later), you can see
> the memory configuration in the "show c3600" command.

Now that's really cool news :-)

For the 36xx series with not-so-current IOS versions, there is another
way to find out the memory layout - going through IOS memory, finding
the location where the boot ROM stores the memory layout and then
looking there for the information:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/63/simm_config_3620_3640.html

(needs JavaScript to work)

> > 7206VXR
>
> Right now, there is no equivalent command on the 7200 platform. You
> can express interest in having this command by opening up a case and
> having it attached to CSCdv69265. The more interest we can generate,
> the faster (and more likely) it will be implemented.

Most of the NPEs take only one SIMM anyway (NPE-225, NPE-400, NPE-G1),
so on the 7206VXR, this feature won't be as helpful as for the others...

But nevertheless: thanks for implementing such useful stuff!

gert

//www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany
gert at greenie.muc.de