[nsp] GSR engine types?

Chris Whyte (GTS -- CONNECTIVITY SERV) cwhyte at microsoft.com
Tue Jan 13 15:59:10 EST 2004

A lot of the variability with the GSR, as with many products, is in how
packets are cellified (with extra overhead added) for transport across
the crossbar from LC to LC. It has much less to do with IFG as it does
with how efficiently the packet gets put into the fixed cell length in
which the GSR supports. In some cases you get lots of overhead and,
therefore, relatively poor overall throughput and in other cases you get
much better overall throughput. Clearly, the 4Mpps forwarding engine
creates an upper threshold. If I remember correctly, overall throughput,
depending on packet size mix and underlying L2 technology (eg GE vs
POS), throughput can vary from 2.4 to 3.1Gbps. This number also has a
tendency to change a bit depending of versions of IOS from my
experience.

Thanks,

Chris