SV: [nsp] FE on 7200

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jan 13 17:36:37 EST 2004

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 11:23:44PM +0100, jgh_cisco wrote:
> Won't 2*PA-2FE-TX give you trouble with "bandwidth points", on all NPEs,
> except NPE-G1 ?

No, why?  (Except that it was "2x PA-FE" vs. "1x PA-2FE")

> It is my understanding that you have 600 bandwidth points on each of the two
> buses, and that the FEs on the I/O controller on all NPEs except NPE-G1
> count (Left bus, I/O + slot 1,3,5; Right bus: 2,4,6).
> NPE-400 means 400 bandwidth points, as do PA-2FE-TX, leaving no points
> available for a second FA-2FE-TX ?

Nah.  NPE-400 has 600 BW points *per bus*.

So you won't fit a PA-2FE and an IO-2FE onto the same bus, and fitting
2x PA-2FE into one box will only work if you have an IO-FE.

Or if you just ignore the warning and live with the oversubscribed
hardware (which is fine if you know that one of the PAs is just standby,
and you'll never use all ports at the same time)

[..]
> In fact, we are looking for a router platform (not switch; 6500/7600) that
> have "many" (5-10) FEs, which can do 802.1q.  Overlapping VLAN IDs are an
> issue, therefore placing a switch in front of the router FE port is not an
> option.

Prepare yourself to pay dearly.

The usual route is "put one GE into the router, hook up a switch,
to 802.1q trunking", but if you can't do that, it's going to be darn
expensive (GSR, 7513 with full VIPs, Juniper M10 or bigger).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de