SV: [nsp] FE on 7200

Streiner, Justin streiner at stargate.net
Tue Jan 13 18:14:50 EST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, jgh_cisco wrote:

> Won't 2*PA-2FE-TX give you trouble with "bandwidth points", on all NPEs,
> except NPE-G1 ?
>
> It is my understanding that you have 600 bandwidth points on each of the two
> buses, and that the FEs on the I/O controller on all NPEs except NPE-G1
> count (Left bus, I/O + slot 1,3,5; Right bus: 2,4,6).
> NPE-400 means 400 bandwidth points, as do PA-2FE-TX, leaving no points
> available for a second FA-2FE-TX ?

You could put one on each bus, depending on the type of I/O controller you
have.

> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/modules/ps2033/products_confi
> guration_guide_chapter09186a008014cf5c.html
>
> In fact, we are looking for a router platform (not switch; 6500/7600) that
> have "many" (5-10) FEs, which can do 802.1q.  Overlapping VLAN IDs are an
> issue, therefore placing a switch in front of the router FE port is not an
> option.

If you're looking for that many FE ports, you probably don't want a 7200
then, particularly if you expect to drive any of those ports at close to
wire-speed.

The theoretical maximum you could have would be
NPE-G1 w/ 3 10/100/GE ports
2 PA-2FE-TX, one on each bus
2 PA-FE-TX,

That doesn't allow for any other high-speed interfaces (DS3, E3, OC3, etc)
without exceeding the bandwidth points on the router.

jms