SV: [nsp] FE on 7200

Siva Valliappan svalliap at cisco.com
Tue Jan 13 19:52:58 EST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, jgh_cisco wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Won't 2*PA-2FE-TX give you trouble with "bandwidth points", on all NPEs,
> except NPE-G1 ?
>
> It is my understanding that you have 600 bandwidth points on each of the two
> buses, and that the FEs on the I/O controller on all NPEs except NPE-G1
> count (Left bus, I/O + slot 1,3,5; Right bus: 2,4,6).

correct

> NPE-400 means 400 bandwidth points, as do PA-2FE-TX, leaving no points
> available for a second FA-2FE-TX ?

nope.  the NPE-400 refers to a certain level of switching performance,
but does not imply a BW point limit.  so you could have 2 PA-2FE-TX,
and 2 PA-FEs (for a total of 6 FE ports) without oversubscribing the bus.
(assuming you are not using a IO controller with any ports on it).

or if you are using the NPE-G1, you could have up to 9 ports.  3 10/100/1000
ports on the NPE-G1, + 6 more from the PAs.

if you want a router platform with any higher density, you need to look at
the 7300, 10000, 10720, 12000.  the 6500/7600 running native isn't what i
would call a switch  :)

cheers
.siva