SV: SV: [nsp] FE on 7200

jgh_cisco jgh_cisco at idcomnet.no
Wed Jan 14 04:16:52 EST 2004

Hello !

> nope.  the NPE-400 refers to a certain level of switching performance,
> but does not imply a BW point limit.  so you could have 2 PA-2FE-TX,
> and 2 PA-FEs (for a total of 6 FE ports) without oversubscribing the bus.
> (assuming you are not using a IO controller with any ports on it).
>
> or if you are using the NPE-G1, you could have up to 9 ports.  3
> 10/100/1000
> ports on the NPE-G1, + 6 more from the PAs.

Agreed.
This 9-port setup is the most cost-effective Cisco solution, I think.

> if you want a router platform with any higher density, you need to look at
> the 7300, 10000, 10720, 12000.  the 6500/7600 running native isn't what i
> would call a switch  :)

6500/7600 show that they are switches when you have overlapping VLAN IDs and
want to (L3) trunk on several ports.  It is not possible to have a L3 port
with 802.1q subinterfaces, and using SVIs is out because of overlapping
VLANs.
For nearly all other purposes, the platform is a high-performance router...

As far as I can see, the 7300 doesn't have native FE-port adapters, meaning
that we would need one carrier card for every PA-2FE-TX.
As someone else remarked: "Prepare yourself to pay dearly." :-)

jgh