[nsp] Router sizing

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Jan 18 04:37:11 EST 2004

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Mark Prior wrote:

> The NPE-G100 cpu card has 3 GE ports and so a better comparison would be
> 7206VXR/NPE-G1 and 7304/NPE-G100. The "native" port adaptors on the 7304
> are pretty sparse at the moment though so unless you need SONET/SDH or
> Ethernet (10/100 UTP) you need to fall back to 7200/7500 PA's.

Another reason to stay away from the 7300 platform is that it's still
haunted by a lot of infancy problems. We have had a lot of ISIS, MTU,
MPLS, CEF and PXF-related bugs since we started using the 7304.

This is probably related to it being an enterprise platform from the
beginning and then all of a sudden a lot of ISPs started using it in
different ways than the regular enterprise customer.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se