[nsp] Intelligent Routing Devices ?

Jim Devane jim at powerpulse.cc
Tue Jan 20 12:54:03 EST 2004

Hello All,

I am wondering about the future of "intelligent routing devices" and how
relevant the greater Internet community believes them to be.

I am not interested so much in who's got the better methodology etc. so much
as I am in their very relevance. Aside from marketing, is their presence
likely to solve anything that needs solving?

That is to ask, is the latency currently in the Internet originated from
disaster ( back-hoes, black-outs etc. ) or is it created at peering
points/NAPs/Exchange points ?

Certainly there are both, and of course the former will exacerbate the
latter, but on average, are NAPs still a significant problem that needs to
be solved by intelligent routing? Or has the presence of Exchange Points
alleviated enough of that congestion?

I just cannot see and IRD solving disaster related latency, either the fiber
cut is too small or too big to have any effect. However, if the Internet is
still largely congested at the Interconnection points then I can buy the
case for needing to thread my way through it.

ANY and ALL comments welcome.