[nsp] Keepalive - Port error

Dennis Peng dpeng at cisco.com
Thu Jan 22 14:47:08 EST 2004

A RADIUS disconnect cause of "Port-Error" means that we stopped
receiving responses to our keepalives. It usually is an indication
that the CPE has gone away (say a customer powered down their DSL
modem) or that traffic has temporarily stopped passing through to the
CPE (maybe a network problem between the LNS and the LAC).

Before you see the "Missed 5 keepalives" message, you'll see an
"echo_cnt X" debug where X is the number of consecutive keepalives we
have missed (we won't print the debug unless X >= 2). When you see
these message, immediately try and ping the user. If that fails, ping
the LAC and make sure connectivity is up. Then try and ping another
user who is on the same LAC (inside the same L2TP tunnel) and see if
they respond. If the first test fails and the second two succeed, then
most likely the user has powered off their CPE device and you
shouldn't worry about it.

Dennis