[nsp] How much memory needed on a VIP

Hyunseog Ryu r.hyunseog at ieee.org
Mon Jan 26 14:06:54 EST 2004

At minimum, it will require 128MB for VIP4-80 or VIP6-80 if you are running
Full BGP routing.
I don't think VIP2 can support more than 64MB, and that's why we replaced all
VIP2 with either VIP4-80 or VIP6-80.

I would say let's go with 256MB for VIP4(6)-80 CPU memory.
Currently full BGP routing table size is about 140K BGP prefixes,
and if there is any routing instance, it will jump up to 200K easily.

If you don't want service disuption by memory limitation, let's go with
maximum memory if possible.

Hyun

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:40:51 -0500 (EST), Krzysztof Adamski wrote
> I have been looking on Cisco site, but can't find the answer to this.
>
> If I have 256MB on a RSP4 so the router can have 3 BGP sessions, how
> much memory is needed on a VIP so if can do dCEF?

Hyunseog Ryu
Senior Network Engineer