[nsp] How much memory needed on a VIP

Richard J. Sears rsears at adnc.com
Mon Jan 26 14:18:04 EST 2004

We run 128MB on our VIP2-50s

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:06:54 -0600
"Hyunseog Ryu" <r.hyunseog at ieee.org> wrote:

> At minimum, it will require 128MB for VIP4-80 or VIP6-80 if you are running
> Full BGP routing.
> I don't think VIP2 can support more than 64MB, and that's why we replaced all
> VIP2 with either VIP4-80 or VIP6-80.
>
> I would say let's go with 256MB for VIP4(6)-80 CPU memory.
> Currently full BGP routing table size is about 140K BGP prefixes,
> and if there is any routing instance, it will jump up to 200K easily.
>
> If you don't want service disuption by memory limitation, let's go with
> maximum memory if possible.
>
> Hyun
>

> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:40:51 -0500 (EST), Krzysztof Adamski wrote
> > I have been looking on Cisco site, but can't find the answer to this.
> >
> > If I have 256MB on a RSP4 so the router can have 3 BGP sessions, how
> > much memory is needed on a VIP so if can do dCEF?

> --
> Hyunseog Ryu
> Senior Network Engineer

Richard J. Sears
Vice President
American Digital Network
rsears at adnc.com
http://www.adnc.com
858.576.4272 - Phone
858.427.2401 - Fax

I fly because it releases my mind
from the tyranny of petty things . .

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've
never been hurt and dance like you do when nobody's
watching."