[nsp] TACACS+ server of choice?

John Wong JohnWong at crimsonlogic.com
Tue Jan 27 21:16:18 EST 2004

I'm not sure if RADIUS is capable of doing EXEC command
accounting but TACACS+ sure can.

Security-wise, RADIUS should be avoided to authenticate
network-devices. If you're concerned about security (and
you should), TACACS+ seems to be the best choice. TACACS+
encrypts the entire packet and is TCP based making it
less likely to be spoofed (like RADIUS UDP packets).

RADIUS is best used for "end-user" device authentication
like for WLAN access, Remote access, etc...

For TACACS+ s/w, SourceForge has it all. For RADIUS, I
use FreeRadius which is a highly configurable & modular
RADIUS server.

Hope this helps.