[nsp] TACACS+ server of choice?

Chris Parker cparker at starnetusa.net
Tue Jan 27 21:41:50 EST 2004

At 08:16 PM 1/27/2004, John Wong wrote:
>I'm not sure if RADIUS is capable of doing EXEC command
>accounting but TACACS+ sure can.

RADIUS, yes.  Just send an Accounting-Request packet.  However,
IOS does not do this.  :\

>Security-wise, RADIUS should be avoided to authenticate
>network-devices. If you're concerned about security (and
>you should), TACACS+ seems to be the best choice. TACACS+
>encrypts the entire packet and is TCP based making it
>less likely to be spoofed (like RADIUS UDP packets).

Yes, that's one problem with RADIUS.  Though, VSA's are opaque,
so there's nothing requiring the 'auth-priv level' and such
to be sent clear text in the VSA payload.  Even using the
same MD5 hash on the VSA payload ala User-Password attribute
would  be better than clear-text, IMHO.

IPSec comes to mind as well, if this is concern.  If it's a
critical device, an OTP method would hopefully be in use
regardless, so even a captured packet/session cannot be
replayed.

>For TACACS+ s/w, SourceForge has it all. For RADIUS, I
>use FreeRadius which is a highly configurable & modular
>RADIUS server.

Definitely agree here.

-Chris
--
    \\\|||///  \          StarNet Inc.      \         Chris Parker
    \ ~   ~ /   \       WX *is* Wireless!    \   Director, Engineering
                   \ Wholesale Internet Services - http://www.megapop.net