[nsp] How to verify a vpn bundled on Cisco 2611XM

daryl at introspect.net daryl at introspect.net
Wed Jan 28 10:15:07 EST 2004

[...]

> I would like to ask how to verify that the one they're
> selling has a VPN bundled. is the VPN has a hardware that is
> visible at the back of the router? The router looks the same
> to me to our old 2600 series with 2fa, 2wan slot and 1 available NM.
>
> What is the default DRAM/Flash memory if this router?

"VPN Bundled" means that it has the AIM-VPN card and an ik9o3s image.

The only way you can tell that without 1.) opening the case a looking
for the card or, better yet, 2.) power is up and do a "show ver" and
look for a correct image and the card, is to trust the little sticker
that should be on the back of it if it came right from Cisco.  I believe
it says "VPN <something> installed"...it's very small, gray with black
writing, and somewhere near the serial number on the back (sorry, been a
while since I've had my hands on one of these things).

As far as DRAM/Flash, here's what about 14 2611XM's that I bought less
than a year ago look like:

---
cisco 2611XM (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x100) with 93184K/5120K
bytes of mem
ory.
Processor board ID JAD07040E94 (697531983)
M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2
Bridging software.
X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
2 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
1 Serial network interface(s)
1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module(s)
32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
---

Minus the serial network interface (T1 WIC), that's how it came out of
the box.

Daryl G. Jurbala
BMPC Network Operations
Tel (NY): +1 917 477 0468 x235