[nsp] NPE-G1

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Jan 29 22:10:19 EST 2004

Hi,

I think you may be speaking about the NPE-G100, not the NPE-G1. The
7304 takes the NPE-G100 and the 7206 takes the NPE-G1 (with has the I/O
controller built in!).  I have had some very bad experiences with the
7304, mainly in lab tests (with the box under high load applying or
removing an ACL would have no effect), but also some crashes in
production.

I have replaced a bunch of 7500s (RSP4, VIP2-50s) with 7206-NPE-G1s and
have been very happy. The 7500s were doing MLPPP with 8 E1s (full of
64byte packets (VoIP)) in a bundle and having severe CPU issues (80-90%
on the VIP). We replaced them with 7206 and turned on cRTP as well and
the CPU sits at around 30-40% (we later removed the MLPPP (yay!) and
saw no real CPU difference). Unfortunately, the CPU goes through the
roof if you turn on QoS so all this is going to be ripped out and
replaced soon.

I also replaced a 7500 with an RSP8 with a NPE-G1 and it is working
great. We are using all 3 of the gig interfaces (2 interfaces have
around 130Mbps and one is almost idle) and  3 DS3s (and 3 full tables)
and the CPU sits at around 10-15%. So far it has been really stable and
has worked really well.

Warren.

On Jan 29, 2004, at 8:40 PM, Leah Lynch wrote:

> I tested the NPE-G1 on a 7304 router (in a lab). While using a traffic
> generator to generate as much traffic as possible I sent the 7304
> 500,000 routes and it did not even hiccup. During the transfer of
> routes there was a brief period where the interface connected to the
> test system was completely saturated, but that was because the test
> system sent the 7304 500k routes in a few seconds. I know that's not
> real world, but it is pretty darn impressive.
>
> Leah
> From: "Richard J. Sears" <rsears at adnc.com>
> Date: 2004/01/29 Thu PM 05:29:57 PST
> To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
> Subject: [nsp] NPE-G1
>
> I am looking at upgrading my current 7507 routers. Each of my routers
> has dual RSP4s and I was thinking of upgrading them to RSP8s when I
> started reading about the new 7206VXRs with the NPE-G1 engine.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this router/engine
> combination, how well they perform in comparison to the RSP8s and
> actual total traffic capabilities when utilizing all three gig ports
> with a mixture of OC3, Gig and DS3 connections as well.
>
> These will be backbone routers connected to a total of 6 upstream
> providers, so we will be carrying full BGP tables on each of them as
> well.
>
> Just looking for a real world (as opposed to marketing) performance
> capabilities and any horror stories (if any).
>

> Thanks

> Richard J. Sears
> Vice President
> American Digital Network
> rsears at adnc.com
> http://www.adnc.com
> 858.576.4272 - Phone
> 858.427.2401 - Fax
>
> I fly because it releases my mind
> from the tyranny of petty things . .
>

> "Work like you don't need the money, love like you've
> never been hurt and dance like you do when nobody's
> watching."

Never criticize a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes.  Then if
he didn't like what you've said, he's a mile away and barefoot.