[nsp] NPE-G1

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Thu Jan 29 23:32:03 EST 2004

Warren Kumari wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think you may be speaking about the NPE-G100, not the NPE-G1. The
> 7304 takes the NPE-G100 and the 7206 takes the NPE-G1 (with has the
> I/O controller built in!).  I have had some very bad experiences with
> the 7304, mainly in lab tests (with the box under high load applying
> or removing an ACL would have no effect), but also some crashes in
> production.

Although you're implying it, were your bad experiences with 7304 with
NSE-100, or with NPE-G100?   In the (limited) testing I've been involved
with (on both cards), the NSE-100 card underimpressed, while the
NPE-G100 showed stable in comparison, certainly in terms of 'pure
routing' performance (i.e., no tunneling or associated encapsulation).
I didn't perform the test you did, though :).  This mirrors 7200 NSE-1
(and C10k5) experiences I've had.  It would seem that the PXF platforms
require very intensive testing of the target environment, moreso than usual.