[nsp] Newbie question :)

Yuval Ben-Ari yuvalba at netvision.net.il
Thu Jul 1 11:05:58 EDT 2004

what config part in the config does interest you ?

As mentioned, you can use 'sh run int XXX' or 'sh run | beg ^router bgp'
for example.
This is not ideal, say you want the router ospf config, 'sh run | beg
^router ospf' will show all the ospf config and all the config following
it.

If you are intersted to see config of specific module on 6500, there is
a command for it:

6509#sh run ?
  interface  Show interface configuration
  map-class  Show map class information
  module     Show module configuration
  vlan       Show L2 VLAN information
  |          Output modifiers
  <cr>

6509#sh run module ?
  <1-9>  Module number

I think it only works for port modules though

I wish Cisco will add more options like:
sh run services
sh run aaa
sh run controller XXX
sh run router XXX YYY
sh run ip routes
sh run access-list XXX
sh run route-map XXX (this one is really needed)
sh run line X Y

and so on .........

However, I must add that I think it is best practice to review configs
offline and not on the router which is not intended to be a config
editor. Although I will admit to be doing it myself :-)
you should note that some commands can use significant CPU time to
process and might even interrupt router operation (complex regexp for
example), and always there is the possibility for CLI bugs, (i.e.
executing the "sh run" command while x y and z might crash router,
workaround: do not execute "sh run" while x y and z) :-)

--Yuval