[nsp] hardware

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Mon Jul 5 17:34:08 EDT 2004

Shaun,

By database I meant whatever works for you.  I'd use mSQL but
I'm biased - I wrote it :)

For your situation it could be a table in an SQL database or
something as simple as a directory full of flat text files
(one per customer) containing something like

	vlan_id=123
	hsrp_primary_address=10.1.1.1
	hsrp_secondary_address=10.1.1.2
	hsrp_shared_address=10.1.1.3
	vlan_netmask=255.255.255.240
	description=Fubar Inc's CoLo Interface
	access_port=sw13:fa0/17
	core_trunk_port=fa0/6

Writing a bit of perl to build IOS fragments from something like
that wouldn't take much time at all.  You could automate adding
the vlan interface to both core switches, adding the vlan to the
trunk, and configuring the port vlan on the access switch.

The level of automation you implement depends on how little work
you want to do manually.  The tools you use depends on what you
are comfortable using.  Horses for courses etc.

David