[nsp] hardware

Tue Jul 6 00:35:47 EDT 2004

+Jon
This is really my first attempt at a network that is not just flat.  I
though about just doing the subnet on each port but i'm not really sure how
i would route that down from the core switch to the switch in that rack.  My
provider said they would assign a /29 so that there router and my
switch/core would talk and than i would take my ips and route them.  If i
wanted to subnet at each customers port would i then need to setup a /29
between my core and edge switch?

Doing subnets per customer port would make managing alot easier, at least in
my mind it would.  I suppose it's not really that much diffrent.

+Stephen
If i grouped customers into a single vlan than wouldnt things like broadcast
and arp traffic go to all of the customers with in that vlan.  I wont say
the name of the company but i worked for a company that has a completely
flat network, and have over 200 servers and a /19.  The problems with
customers affecting other customers was terrible and the amount of
broadcast/arp traffic that gets totalled up for there bandwidth usage is
alot.  They have customers that run bw monitors and show that they only push
10GB's that month when the companys showed 20GB.  That company has choosen
to have a poor network and it costs them customers.  I dont want to have
that problem, i want one customer to affect another customer as least as
possible.

~Shaun