[nsp] sizing a router

Steve Francis sfrancis at fastclick.com
Tue Jul 6 14:49:37 EDT 2004

AFAIK, the only device cisco makes that can handle an OC3 with line rate
ACLs and stand up to Dos is a 6500/7600 with a flexwan module and a sup
II or Sup 720. Possibly a 10000 using PXF, but I have not experience
with them.
7200 with a NPE-G1 will do line rate OC3, but doesn't do the hardware
QoS/ACL that will let it survive a targeted DoS, as it has a central CPU
model.
7500 with distributed VIP's with fare well, but be expensive, and still
do software processing (albeit distributed.)
GSR's don't do hardware ACLs on OC3's (but do with engine 3 line cards -
of which there is no OC3 version.)

7200/NPE-G1 is probably what I'd do if budget constrained - 6500 if not.

(I'd be interested in hearing other's suggestions, too.)