[nsp] dns forwarding

Christian Kuhtz christian.kuhtz at BellSouth.com
Wed Jul 7 15:50:59 EDT 2004

That's crazy :).. Why wouldn't you simply change a DHCP server to send out a
different IP address?  What is this, a spammer than changes ISPs like
they're going out of style? :)

But, suit yourself ;)

On 7/7/04 2:44 PM, "Roger" <grunky at rockriver.net> wrote:

> Mark Persiko wrote:
>
>> You might want to check Cisco's online documentation for NAT/PAT, which
>> is quite good.
>>
>> Or, you might want to set up a Linux box whose sole purpose in life is
>> to run caching-only DNS.  This would be good for the router (less
>> network load from having to serve lookups) and for your clients
>> (dedicated box will give faster performance.)
>>

> I agree w/ most on changing the dns at the dhcp server.
>

> However, the customer brought up a good point.  If they change ISPs all
> the new ISP needs to do is put in a new router, set to relay dns
> requests, and zero configuration needs to be changed at the client end
> or dhcp server.  With the CPE router relaying dns they don't need to
> change anything at all internally thus reducing costs/complexity while
> retaining ISP portability, ie don't give a damn what dns servers they
> have - just point to the local gateway.
>
> Yes I think a nat/pat solution is in the works.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. 117