[nsp] load balancing/DFP?

Jochen Kaiser Jochen.Kaiser at rrze.uni-erlangen.de
Mon Jul 12 16:14:02 EDT 2004

hi,

I am interested in load balancing. I examined certain vendors
and it's hard to find the feature I need to meet my needs: snmp
queries of the balanced system to change weight on the load
balancer.

Cisco has the DFP protocol to support dynamic load balancing via
an agent system. Unfortunately I did not find very much 3rd party
information about this protocol and there are no (at least I did
not find any) generic agents to support this for $operating
system.

Does anyone have deeper knowledge about this protocol?
Is it 'current' or is it 'doomed'?
Which NLB vendors do you know who use a generic snmp daemon
to let you ask a load balanced server. I just know that
Nortel Alteon can accomplish this task.

regards,
Jochen Kaiser
--
Dipl. Inf. Jochen Kaiser, GPG 0x3C93A870, phone +49 9131 85-28681
Network Administration  mailto:jochen.kaiser at rrze.uni-erlangen.de
Regionales Rechenzentrum Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg, Germany
Homepage and PublicKey: http://ipv6.rrze.uni-erlangen.de/~unrz111