[nsp] ONS15454 vs 12000 for the OC-3 demuxing

Mike Lewinski mike at rockynet.com
Tue Jul 13 18:46:36 EDT 2004

So after having done a bunch of research and having learned quite a bit
about Sonet vs. SDH, PoS, ATM etc. and realizing the constraints of the
product we're buying, it seems like if we stay Cisco our two most
logical choices are the ONS 15454 or a 12000 series.

Right now I'm leaning toward the 12000 mainly because it's a real router
whereas the ONS 15454 seems like more of an ADM (albeit a fancy one
that's not limited to a given transport) that's going to leave me still
needing router interfaces to handle circuits I break down with it.

It certainly looks like this:

CISCO 12000 SERIES 2-PORT CHANNELIZED OC-3/STM-1 (DS1/E1) LINE CARD
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/modules/ps2710/ps189/index.html

...does exactly what I need. No PoS or ATM on this product, just allows
me to peel of DS1s and supports "1310 nm single-mode (SM)". I can't tell
if it's got SC or FC connectors, but I'm starting to suspect this is a
non-issue (I've found at least two sources of convertors, Qwest says
they are going to give me FC but most of the Cisco stuff I've seen has
SC- since I have to have my demarc extended I'm assuming I can have my
wiring contractors just terminate each end appropriately?)

Anyone using the 12000 channelized OC-3 line card who can verify my
belief that this is going to do the trick for us? Or any arguments for
the ONS 15454, given that at most we will have two OC-3s at this
particular site and nothing else for the foreseeable future since we are
pushing most of our expansion circuits into a different POP not yet fed
by an ICDF colo?)

Thanks for all the responses! I received a couple privately that also
indicated I was SOL for the 75xx/72xx channelized OC-3 options (we do
have some PA-MC-T3s in service on 75xx and they work great btw :)

Mike