[nsp] ONS15454 vs 12000 for the OC-3 demuxing

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Tue Jul 13 19:48:35 EDT 2004

The ONS 15454 is not a router, it is a SONET ADM and can mux/demux at
DS-1 through OC-192 levels.  It doesn't handle any routing.   It is
also a digital cross connect providing DS-1 (VT1.5s) DS-3 and STS-n
cross connects.  You *can* get the MC series switch card which handles
routing (think 3550 series stuffed inside the SONET ring) but the 15454
can't terminate DS-1s to packet natively.

If you are look at a pure cost stand point and you want to terminate at
most 3 OC-3s worth of DS-1 traffic you can look at using an Adtran
OPTI-3   OC-3 <-> DS-3 mux to break the OC-3 from qwest into 3
Channelized DS-3s.  You can then connect the DS-3s to 3 PA-MC-2T3 cards
running on VIP4-50s in your 7500 series router.

To terminate 2 OC-3s on a 7500 series router you would need

2 Adtran OPTI-3 muxes    $5k each
3 PA-MC-2T3                     $28k each (list)
2 VIP4-50s                         $11k each (list)

Total  $116k,   $690 per DS-1  (list)

Alternatively you could get a Seranoa IPeX (www.seranoa.com)  a GEIP+
card for. With this setup, each DS-1 appears on the GigE card as a VLAN
ID

To terminate 2 OC-3s on a Seranoa and then into a 7500 Gig E port you
would need

2 Adtran OPTI-3 muxes  $5k each
1 Seranoa IPeX 200 (12 channelized DS-3s)   $60k  (list)
1 GEIP+    $11k (list)

Total  6 DS-3s $81k,  $482 per DS-1 (list)
Total 12 DS-3s $91k,  $270 per DS-1 (list)

The good thing about the Seranoa solution is it scales to 12 DS-3s and
if you outgrow the PPS of the 7500 you can replace it with a 7600 GigE
port or a M7i.  It separates your interface termination from your
packet forwarding engine.  You can easily have several routers, even
fail over routers handle your DS-1 customers by switching the VLANs to
different router ports.  With PA-MC-2T3 you are stuck with the
7500/7200 series or the unstable/expensive WAN cards for the 7600
series