[nsp] Suggestions on tracking down bandwidth offenders

Raymond, Steven steven_raymond at eli.net
Wed Jul 14 13:38:52 EDT 2004

> to figure out who the big talkers were, but frankly it takes
> too long to
> crunch all the packets.  I've also tried etherApe, but the analysis
> makes my poor little laptop crawl.  Are there any tools out
> there that
> will speed this up?  Possibly by looking at the firewall logs?

Have you tried 'ip accounting output-packets' on your LAN interface(s)?

To narrow the output down, it then helps to do something like this:

sh ip accounting | e (_[0-9]_|_[0-9][0-9]_)

Which means "exclude any lines 1 or 2 digit numbers surrounded by spaces".
Add more [0-9] to look at only the larger talkers.

It's quick & dirty, but easy.

HTH