[nsp] bgp - aggregates and specific routes

Timothy.Hall at alltel.com Timothy.Hall at alltel.com
Wed Jul 14 14:58:02 EDT 2004

You'll have to advertise both the /19 and the /24 (vs suppressing the more specific route). Routing decisions are first and foremost made by longest prefix match. If you are not advertising the /24, the default path will always be through the customer's other ISP. If the customer just wants to use the "other" ISP as a backup to you, then they just need to prepend their AS on the backup ebgp link.

Then - you will be the best path for traffic to your customer. When the link between you and them goes down, the backup path will be used since you will no longer be advertising the /24, just the /19.

hth