[nsp] Suggestions on tracking down bandwidth offenders

Oleg Kostine oleg.kostine at viatel.com
Thu Jul 15 07:01:50 EDT 2004

Message: 8
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:45:18 -0500
From: Chris Boyd <cboyd at gizmopartners.com>
Subject: Re: [nsp] Suggestions on tracking down bandwidth offenders
To: cisco-nsp <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 12:24, Tony Mucker wrote:

>> I've got a bandwidth problem (who doesn't).  Something has been
>> saturating my poor little T1 for 24 hours straight now.  For those of
>> you curious, here's what it looks like:

http://www.ntop.org/ http://purl.org/net/darkstat If you have an open
port on the switch that you can run port monitoring on or a hub going to
your router, either one of these will do a good job.

####################
Ourmon is a very good package for monitoring your traffic when you can
run port monitoring
http://ourmon.cat.pdx.edu/ourmon/
it will show you all the top protocols net stats with the IP addresses,
etc. which will do exactly what you've asked for (e.g. tracking down
bandwidth offenders)

/OK

For more information about the Viatel Group, please visit www.viatel.com

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INTENDED RECIPIENT TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited, and you should delete this e-mail from your system.  The Viatel group of companies does not conclude contracts by e-mail nor does it receive contractual notices by e-mail.

This message has been scanned for viruses and spam by Viatel MailControl - www.viatel.com