[nsp] Suggestions on tracking down bandwidth offenders

Tony Mucker Tony at tonymucker.com
Thu Jul 15 12:52:23 EDT 2004

Thanks for all the great suggestions.  We finally tracked it down
yesterday afternoon (after a day and a half of hammering the T1).

It was a little router that sat in front of a legacy engineering/demo
network of about 12 machines.  I've only been here 2 months, and had
forgotten about.  The router is configured so that it passes traffic
straight to the router, bypassing the firewall (even though it has an
interface on the inside of the firewall, go figure).  So I spent most of
the day looking at the wrong MRTG graphs.

I'm currently building up a linux machine to run ntop on.  I've heard
about it before, never had a reason to try it.

In my budget I've got room for more than a few tools.  Has anyone had
any experience with Shomiti Surveyor?  I've got an older copy here (3.2)
and was wondering if it's worth my while to renew it.

Finally, I've also got it in my budget to get more sophisticated that
will allow me more QoS options.  Right now the core switch is a Cat4006,
with a Sup2 and a Layer 3 Services module.  The only QoS I can do is on
the GBIC ports on the Layer 3 module, and that's only if the ports are
running layer 3.  So I'm looking at upgrading it to a Sup4, or possibly
doing something else with the money.  The device by Packeteer looks
interesting (I Saw it on this mailing list earlier and talked to someone
last night who was using it).  Any ideas?

Thanks much
Tony