[nsp] Cisco-Juniper E3 compatibility

Blaz Zupan blaz at inlimbo.org
Tue Jul 20 15:29:47 EDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Andre Chapuis wrote:
> Does anybody have good advice for interconnecting a Cisco and a Juniper through an E3 circuit ?
> (Cisco PA-E3 and Juniper E3 PIC).
> I'm using dsu mode kentrox and ppp, but we sometimes get interface bounces

Here is the Cisco side:

interface Serial2/0
 ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
 ip mtu 1500
 encapsulation ppp
 framing g751
 scramble
 dsu bandwidth 34010
 dsu mode 1
end

and this is the Juniper side:

interfaces e3-0/3/1 {
  clocking internal;
  encapsulation ppp;
  e3-options {
      compatibility-mode kentrox;
      payload-scrambler;
  }
  unit 0 {
      family inet {
          mtu 1500;
          address x.x.x.x/x;
    }
  }
}

This is a known working (and apparently the only working) combination. I have
taken this from a post by a Juniper tech to juniper-nsp. There *is* a known
problem with this combination where sometimes when the E3 itself bounces on
the telco side, the link will not come up correctly. On the Juniper you will
see a yellow alarm (YLW). The only way to resolve this is to remove the
interface configuration on the Juniper side, commit it, then rollback 1 and
commit again. This brings the link up. We have four links like this and it
happens maybe once or twice per year. It seems like a synchronization problem
but I have never been able to find out who the culprit is, the Cisco or the
Juniper.