[c-nsp] GTS and ATM (PA-A3-T3) on 7200

Marko Milivojevic markom at pangalactic.net
Thu Jul 29 12:17:43 EDT 2004

> Why don't you just setup the PVC as:
>
> vbr-nrt blahh blahh
>
> That will shape the PVC at the ATM layer to whatever speed you desire....
> works like  a charm.

    That is correct, but not if you wish to traffic shape just certain IP's,
not the whole connection/PVC.

    Apparently, there are several issues here.

    First and foremost: CSCed41001 and CSCin77866

    Secondly, it seems that GTS is *not* supported on VC's on this platform.
On the other hand, policing seems to be working, but not on PA-A3-T3. It
works like a charm on PA-A3-OC3xx (unlickily, one side of my connection is
*T3, the other one is *OC3).

    The most complex one (and ATM gurus out there, please forgive me) is
actual configuration of the whole thing.

    If I understood few documents well, first of all flow based fair
queueing must be enabled on default class:

policy-map ...
 class class-default
  fair-queue
!

    and only then policing can be configured. Now, funny thing is:

  Service-policy output: DOWNLOAD-SHAPE

    Class-map: SHAPE-4MB (match-any)
      0 packets, 0 bytes
      30 second offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
      Match: access-group 2003
        0 packets, 0 bytes
        30 second rate 0 bps
      police:
          cir 4000000 bps, bc 125000 bytes
        conformed 0 packets, 0 bytes; actions:
          transmit
        exceeded 0 packets, 0 bytes; actions:
          drop
        conformed 0 bps, exceed 0 bps

this is how it looks like on PA-A3-T3 and below is PA-A3-OC3xx:

    Class-map: SHAPE-4MB (match-any)
      1150609 packets, 540140270 bytes
      30 second offered rate 429000 bps, drop rate 0 bps
      Match: access-group 2003
        1150609 packets, 540140270 bytes
        30 second rate 429000 bps
      police:
          cir 4000000 bps, bc 125000 bytes
        conformed 1150609 packets, 540140270 bytes; actions:
          transmit
        exceeded 0 packets, 0 bytes; actions:
          drop
        conformed 429000 bps, exceed 0 bps

    Apparently, one doesn't work, while the other one works like a charm.

    Furthermore, yes, according to documentation, all this is not supported
with UBR and UBR+.

    I'm still a bit puzzled by all this. ATM is not one of my strong
points... :-(. Any pointers are greatly appreciated. Both ends are now
12.3.6b.

Marko.