[c-nsp] Question regarding 6500

Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN Delbert.Hudson at LOSANGELES.AF.MIL
Fri Jul 30 10:37:45 EDT 2004

have to agree as we have a slew of them and to extend it, i'd venture
a guess that MOST enterprise switch failure modes are connected to blade or
linecard
failures as opposed to other chassis or components.

~pirahna

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net]On Behalf Of Stork, D.H.
(Duncan)
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 12:49 AM
To: 'cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net'
Subject: RE: [c-nsp] Question regarding 6500

Dear Vish,

We have 2 Cat6509's (for redundancy purposes) at our company and they're
doing more than very well. To be exactly....we NEVER had any problems with
any hardware but, of course, this doesn't say that it's representative for
all 6500-series Catalysts. I think that most of the downtime due to
defective hardware is caused by the blades. Second cause is a poorly
network-design. Personally I don't think you'll find someone who has two
defective cat6509-powersupply's at the same time, but allways keep a spare
for emergency purposes. I really don't think you can describe the chances of
failiure by any numbers.

Best regards,

Duncan Stork
The Netherlands