[c-nsp] Question regarding 6500

Ryan O'Connell ryan at complicity.co.uk
Fri Jul 30 12:10:50 EDT 2004

I've never lost a switch due to dual PSU failure - in fact, I've only
ever seen one 6509 PSU actually fail. (And it took a whole circuit with
it when it did...)

On the other hand, I've lost several non-fabric-enabled switches due to
failure of the backplane interface chipset on a line card, which often
takes the whole backplane out until you remove the card. I've also never
seen a redundant supervisor sucessfully recover from a failed primary.

In terms of MTBF, based on my personal experience of 6509s it's about 1
failure per 25 switch-years (I.e. you'd get one failure a year if you
had 25 switches) for the whole chassis and 1:50 for the linecards.
(Excluding failures in the first month of running)