[nsp] High-availabity GigE connection to two switches

Robert A. Hayden rhayden at geek.net
Tue Jun 1 17:01:55 EDT 2004

The reason you want a routing protocol is for seamless failover.  If you
have two links and you weight one default heavier than the other, you
might have a partially failed link but not a failed layer-1 connection.
Relying on a routing protocol from some upstream router to provide your
default addresses all of your L1-3 issues in one bite.

In some cases, even the failure of the link might not yank a static
default route out of the server's table.

If you are comfortable with the possibility of doing some kind of manual
inspection to address a failure, then there are non-routed ways of doing
it for sure.  I just know that the way I proposed, while older than dirt,
works pretty good for most failure modes.

- Robert