[nsp] I need ideas on how to simulate a 200ms round-trip latency and bandwidth limitation.

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Jun 2 04:07:10 EDT 2004

> I need to do some software tests between our main site and equipment
> that will be collocated some 200ms from here.
> I'd like to simulate the latency and some bandwidth limitation - let say
> 256Kbps.

I can't see how you can simulate 200ms of delay with the equipment you
have on hand. However, if you have a spare PC available you can install
FreeBSD, and use the "dummynet" part of FreeBSD to simulate delay. From
the manual page:

NAME
     dummynet -- traffic shaper, bandwidth manager and delay emulator

DESCRIPTION
     dummynet is a system facility that permits the control of traffic going
     through the various network interfaces, by applying bandwidth and queue
     size limitations, implementing different scheduling and queue management
     policies, and emulating delays and losses.

     The user interface for dummynet is implemented by the ipfw program, so
     the reader is referred to the ipfw(8) manpage for a complete description
     of the capabilities of dummynet and on how to use it.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no