[nsp] Re: cisco-nsp Digest, Vol 19, Issue 5

Rutger Bevaart rutger.bevaart at illian.net
Wed Jun 2 11:04:33 EDT 2004

there's actually a pretty easy solution. grab an install ISO for FreeBSD from
the net (5.2.1 preferably) and install it on an old PC lying around in the
office.

create some alias addresses and then use the ipfw module to create 'bandwidth
and delay' pipes. if you've got ip routing enabled on the box (just add some
static routes) you can simulate an advanced network simulator with bandwidth
and delay specifics. just using the command line you can change the delay and
bandwidth...

i did this from a VMWare session on my laptop to test an ERP package before
rollout of a new WAN to show the new WAN was not going to solve the performance
problems, they were delay related ;-)

the caveat is that you can't get below the 2-3ms delay incurred by the software
routing...