[nsp] RE: OK I'm Stumped!!!!

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Mon Jun 7 17:47:52 EDT 2004

Not if you can ping

What I'd do next.. find a nearby server you control that they can ping but cant
browse a web page on.. run tcpdump or equiv on that box

Now try ping using increasing packet sizes, see what size they stop working at
(if they stop working).

Try opening a webpage on the server and record the tcp connection

For ping, tcpdump should help you work out in which direction the problem lies
(ie you receive the icmp echo but the dialup doesnt report the echo reply).

For the webpage, a successfull handshake and get request then a stall shouts mtu
issues.

Are you doing anything else on the as5300/nearby routers to do with wccp/web
caching, policy/source routing?

Steve