[nsp] IP over ATM?

Tony Mucker Tony at tonymucker.com
Tue Jun 29 17:06:18 EDT 2004

We're currently looking at getting something a little more beefy than
our current T1.

Right now, I have two options in front of me, IMA (Inverse Multiplexing
for ATM) and four bonded T1's (both from different providers).  Either
option would get me 6 Mbps.

I've got the hardware handy to do 4 T1's, but don't have the module for
my Cisco routers to do the IMA (NM-4T1-IMA).  I also see that the module
has been EOL'd by Cisco, with a final sale date of 31MAR04.

Has anyone had experience with IMA?  Seems like the IMA modules (both
NM-4T1-IMA and NM-8T1-IMA) were never too popluar.  The monthly cost for
both options is the same, but with the IMA I'd need to find a module
somewhere.

Are there any pitfalls?  The 4 T1's would be round-robined, which I
don't have a problem with.

Thanks for your help.
Tony