[nsp] 5513 RSM Problems

Paul Stewart pauls at nexicom.net
Thu Mar 4 06:06:37 EST 2004

Hi guys...

We have an older Cisco 5513 switch in operation that has 2 RSM cards in it.

Several months ago we moved a bunch of VLAN's onto the RSM cards to offset
some CPU from an edge router.  The VLAN's worked great for a couple of
months.  During an upgrade on the switch, I had to reboot the unit.  After
the reboot the RSM cards would not come online.

If I connected to the RSM via console they had booted up no problem but vlan
1 would be down/down.  This had happened a long time before and I simply
rebooted the switch again and they came up (also tried clear int vlan1).

This morning I was adding RAM to the spare Supervisor on it and ever since I
popped the card out the RSM's went offline again.  Thankfully there are no
VLAN's on these cards at the moment due to the history we've had with them.
Unfortunately I can't reboot the switch this morning.

I've talked to several people who has the same switch, same CatOS, same
RSM's etc. and they don't have this issue... Anyone have any ideas?

The only thing that is remaining and I need to do it anyways is upgrade the
CatOS on the switch (hence why the RAM upgrades were needed).

The switch is running CatOS 5.5(18) and the RSM cards have IOS 12.2.21a
currently.

Thanks in advance,

Paul