[nsp] Weird Problem - 6509 rate limiting

Paul Stewart pauls at nexicom.net
Tue Mar 16 11:30:50 EST 2004

I'm hoping someone has come across this or that I've done something
stupid...;)

We have installed a 6509 at a remote site today.  It's a really simple
setup.. 2 sup2/msfc2 engines, 1 10/100 card.

Port 3/1 has some vlan's on it to customers and also one of the vlan's is a
p2p lan extension to our core router at another location.  Everything is
working fine on the device, vlan's are up and passing traffic, switchports
are up etc. etc..

Our problem is with rate limiting the vlan's.  Traditionally I have used
"rate-limit input xxxxx" on each vlan to limit them to their amount of
bandwidth purchased.  The old 3662 router did this just fine as a
subinterface on the FastE

Things are a little different on the 6509 as the rate-limit command isn't
supported (even though it shows up on a command).  When trying to use  it I
get:

Rate-limit command is not supported in hardware  use service-policy command

This 6509 is running native ios version 12.1(20)E2
(c6sup22-jk2sv-mz.121-20.E2.bin)

Why is it not supported by the hardware??

So, I try creating a service-policy:

class-map match-all fiber_customers
  match any

policy-map PUC
  class fiber_customers
     police 1000000 15000 15000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

gw-cust-nrtco(config-if)#service-policy input PUC
QoS: match type in class fiber_customers not supported on Vlan106
QoS: policy PUC actions for class fiber_customers are not supported on
Vlan106
QoS: match type in class fiber_customers not supported on Vlan106
QoS: match type in class fiber_customers not supported on Vlan106

Can anyone help?

gw-cust-nrtco#sh mls qos
  QoS is enabled globally
  Microflow policing is enabled globally
Vlan or Portchannel(Multi-Earl) policies supported: Yes

 ----- Module [1] -----
  QoS global counters:
    Total packets: 40374
    IP shortcut packets: 0
    Packets dropped by policing: 0
    IP packets with TOS changed by policing: 104
    IP packets with COS changed by policing: 0
    Non-IP packets with COS changed by policing: 0

Thanks in advance,

Paul