[nsp] sup720-3bxl experiences?

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Fri Mar 5 11:13:18 EST 2004

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Saku Ytti wrote:

>  Anyone have anything good/bad to say about Sup720-3BXL that I can't
> read from CCO? I have hard time figuring out why would anyone without
> existing hardware shop GSR as their new Ethernet platform when Sup720-3BXL has
> multiple times cheaper port pricing.
>  Only difference that I found out is lack of hierarchial QoS, which might or
> might not be an issue. (for P shouldn't matter, but for PE it might)
>
>  Is the real life experience with Sup720-3BXL in par with CCO
> promises, look very (too?) cheap to be true. Where's the catch?

On GSR the lots of intelligence is integrated in linecards. For Sup720
most of the intelligence integrated on the central switching engine. You
can add A and D feature card to the current sup720 linecards that moves
intelligence towards the linecards. One additional missing point in
Sup720: you can't have STM-64 linecard yet. Also some limitation with MPLS
and heavy ACL usage... Some might know more.

Best Regards,
	Janos Mohacsi