[nsp] Weird Problem - 6509 rate limiting

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue Mar 16 15:40:20 EST 2004

> It might be useful to state that Paul is using NativeIOS, so we don't
> have a choice about where we configure the policing.    Check out this
> error:  (Note that this cat has MSFC2/PFC installed)

Well, in that case I think your question can be answered simply: Can't
be done. That probably won't make you happy - I know it didn't make us
happy either when we found out about this limitation.

You can either upgrade to a Sup720 (rather expensive), or trunk the
VLANs through another switch which *can* do the rate limiting (eg. a
3550). Or you can waste two extra ports on your 6500, connect them
with a suitable cable, run the VLANs out and *in* again on the same
box, and do the rate limiting on input instead. I've seen this
described on the Cisco web site, but haven't been able to find the
link lately.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no