[nsp] Cisco 2500 Traffic Limit and high cpu utilization.

Church, Chuck cchurch at wamnetgov.com
Wed Mar 17 21:43:11 EST 2004

'Sh int stat' will give you a nice breakdown of packets being fast versus process switched on the interfaces.  A well-performing router without ACLs or NAT can see maybe 99% or more packets being fast switched.  The RED you have configured may be affecting it though.  I'd make it a priority to get CEF running correctly, so maybe you're hitting a bug that's been fixed in a later version, like Terry said.  Check the buffers to see if you're getting many misses and/or trims.  If you are using ACLs, try re-arranging the entries to make most of the hits occur at the top of the ACL.  Routing or policy routing bad packets to null might be a better option than an interface ACL.  From what I've read, a 2500 will process switch at most 800 pps, and fast switch about 4000 pps.  Your 28% IP input value with about 475 pps passing through the router indicates about 224 pps being process switched.  That's a pretty high percentage.  What's the whole config look like?

Chuck Church
Lead Design Engineer
CCIE #8776, MCNE, MCSE
Wam!Net Government Services - Design & Implementation Team
13665 Dulles Technology Dr. Ste 250
Herndon, VA 20171
Office: 703-480-2569
Cell: 703-819-3495