[nsp] VLAN database propagation

Dustin Mitchell dustin at ywlcs.org
Thu Mar 18 09:16:50 EST 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 03:09:03PM +0200, Adrian Pirciu wrote:
> It's VTP ( VLAN Trunk Protocol)

And on that note I might add that if you don't need VTP (not too many
switches and/or fairly static VLAN topology), turn it off -- put all of
the switches in transparent mode.

VTP is an interesting idea, but unfortunately it's so automatic that
it's very easy to slag your network with it.  In addition to the
warnings in the Cisco documents others have cited, I can vouch from
personal experience that changing the VTP domain name on one switch can
cause all switches to stop forwarding packets.  That's no fun.

I have a question related to that -- is it possible to back up a
switch's VLAN configs in a manner similar to backing up its IOS
config?

Dustin

--
# Dustin Mitchell