[nsp] BGP for voice guys

James Edwards hackerwacker at cybermesa.com
Sat Mar 27 17:22:00 EST 2004

I leaving this weekend to spend a week with a CLEC
on the west coast that we partner with to exchange information.
They are voice guys now doing some IP as integrated services
and we are IP guys now doing some voice. They will help me get some
CBX-500's together and learn to operate them and I will get them ready
to do BGP & multi-home. I am pulling some materials together & like the
beginning and case study 1, here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/tk80/technologies_tech_note09186a00800c95bb.shtml
And of course, this page: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/459/25.shtml.
This is a great graphic for describing BGP convergence:
http://www.packetdesign.com/technology/presentations/nanog-30/u21-1.html
(2 fail overs/backs & slow convergence of a 6 AS path backup route over
48 mins, UCBerkley, via Calren North/South network
http://www.ucop.edu/irc/projects/CRGN/)

If anyone knows of any on-line materials that would be appropriate
for a presentation on BGP, please send them on.

In working with these guys and seeing their configs it is clear
they well understand the basics of Cisco router configs. So I
plan to spend some hands on work at the Oregon Route Server and on
my own Route Server with BGP commands and the configing, care and
feeding of BGP sessions.

--
James H. Edwards
Routing and Security