[nsp] That password hash problem

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Thu May 6 13:24:24 EDT 2004

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 12:59:27PM -0400, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
> Re the thread last month about hashed passwords failing
> after an upgrade:  I just got bit by that one, I think.
> Upgraded to c7200-is-mz.122-18.S4.bin on a 7206, and now
> have no login access to the router at all.
>
> Short of another reboot and downgrade back to the older
> IOS, is there a way to get around this problem?  i.e. to
> login via some path?

Viewing CSCed88768 (the earlier thread mentioned this bugid but
also said it was not accessible), it looks like the answer is no.

Quote:

   Certain type-7 encrypted forms of password may not work after
   upgrading to 12.2(18)S or other IOS images based on that version,
   such as 12.2(18)SE or 12.2(18)SV or 12.2(18)SW. The workaround is
   to reconfigure the same password once the upgrade is complete.

I think the workaround should be expanded a little to include
turning off service password-encryption before the upgrade
so that you *can* reconfigure the same password once the
upgrade is complete :-)

(looks like another 2 reboots required to get to that point)

mm