[nsp] That password hash problem

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Thu May 6 16:42:52 EDT 2004

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 12:59:27PM -0400, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
> Re the thread last month about hashed passwords failing
> after an upgrade:  I just got bit by that one, I think.
> Upgraded to c7200-is-mz.122-18.S4.bin on a 7206, and now
> have no login access to the router at all.

Yep -- that's how I found it as well.

> Short of another reboot and downgrade back to the older
> IOS, is there a way to get around this problem?  i.e. to
> login via some path?

Our console ports use different login mechanisms, so I was able to login
via the console, and simply reset the password.

To not get caught with this type of problem, our new proceedures for
upgrades include 'no service password-encryption' and a password reset.
Once the router is up and running the new code, we turn
password-encryption back on.