[nsp] What WIC to use with E1 service

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat May 8 04:49:08 EDT 2004

Hi,

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 10:32:28PM -0400, Krzysztof Adamski wrote:
> I need to send a router to Europe to connect to a E1 service, the router
> is going to be 1721. Here (NA) I would just use WIC-1DSU-T1, what is the
> equivalent for E1.

There's no "pure data" E1 WIC, but the VWIC-1MFT-E1 works fine (on
a G.703/G.704 E1 line, with framing provided by the telco).

> Also what kind of framing should I ask the E1 to be set to?

E1 is always G.703, and can be delivered "unframed" or "G.704"
(sometimes called "2 Mbit structured").

If it's "unframed", you need the VWIC-1MFT-E1-G703 - that one can run
framed and unframed, but you need a more recent IOS for it.

I'm not 100 per cent sure the VWIC will work in a 1720 - better verify
that with cisco.com or with your sales rep.  It works beautifully on
2600s with "IP only" IOS - if you want to run it as Voice interface
card, you need "IP plus", but for data, "IP only" is sufficient.

gert
--
Gert Doering
Mobile communications ... right now writing from * RIPE48 / Amsterdam *